Search This Blog

Friday, May 18, 2012

To Bee or Not Too Bee


Two years ago when our nephew Ryan was six, he decided to throw a rock at a beehive to see if he could outrun the bees. Twenty-something beestings later, it appeared the bees had won.

The next time I saw Ryan, I said something like, “Well, I guess if you see another beehive, you won’t go anywhere near it.”

He thought about it for a few seconds and shook his head. “I don’t know Aunt Carol. Sometimes when I see things, I just have to try them.”  

He went on to explain how next time he would ask his father to drive him up close to the beehive in his truck. Ryan planned to  lower his window, hurl his rocks and quickly close the window. He was pretty sure his new plan was fool-proof.

This is the same nephew that at 3 years old, after his father dug a hole on the beach that was about 5 feet wide and 3 feet deep, stood on the edge, spread his arms and flung his body toward the other side singing, “I believe I can fly.”

Although, it occasionally gives his mother palpitations, you gotta love his spunky zest to try new things.

Which brings me to the heart of this week’s blog.

If you have followed 4Broadminds from the start, you know our first blog about summer’s four seasons ran in October, a.k.a. late summer.  Here we are three seasons later and many of you stop me at work or in the neighborhood to praise the blog, a number of you regularly send email comments to my home email. What most of you have not done and swear you cannot or are afraid to try is comment right here on the blog.

I hope today is the day we end all that.

It is easy. I am so sure you can do it, I have set a personal goal to get at least 20 comments on this post­—stretch goal is 25! If you know me well, you know how goal oriented I am. So what do you say? Will you help me meet this goal?

Here’s all you have to do.

At the bottom of this entry you will see a line that looks like this:

Posted by Carol Fragale Brill at 6:28 PM 3 comments

·         Simply click on the word comments and a blank box will pop up.

·         Type your comment.

·         Under the comment box you will see “Comment As.” You can pick one of the profiles listed, for example, Google, if you have a Google email account, or keep it really simple and just pick anonymous. (If you choose anonymous, I hope you will include at least your first name in the comment box, so we know who you are.)

If Ryan can face a swarm of bees, you can face commenting on our blog. Just take a page from Ryan’s playbook, strap on your life vest and flippers and take the plunge.

30 comments:

  1. AnonymousMay 18, 2012

    Good job, Carol. Always training! Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic! Love the blog Carol! Marion Stamopoulos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love this thought, thanks for sharing it.

      Delete
  3. AnonymousMay 18, 2012

    Just saw Ryan who mentioned he "was so excited because Aunt Carol was putting his story in the news!". Hope you reach your goal! -Kristina

    ReplyDelete
  4. AnonymousMay 18, 2012

    Have to put in my 2 cents! - Julie V

    ReplyDelete
  5. AnonymousMay 19, 2012

    Carol, great story! We all need to confront our fear of new things! Thanks ! Donna

    ReplyDelete
  6. AnonymousMay 19, 2012

    Great story! We all need to try something new! Donna

    ReplyDelete
  7. AnonymousMay 19, 2012

    Hi Carol,
    I do read everything that gets sent to my email BUT this is my 1st Blog. So I guess that makes me a virgin blogger. And unlike Ryan, if there is one BEE, or Yellow Jacket, or Wasp
    anywhere within my vision, I quickly reach the hysteria stage as I run with arms flailing and high-pitched screams of "Is it near ME"? This is actually one time when I'm not jealous of the impetuousness of youth. Mary C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah,the wisdom I think is finding the balance between prudent caution and risk taking so we keep learning new things.
      thanks for making us your first blog. carol

      Delete
  8. Starting this blog felt like a huge and scary new thing for me-it was made much easier by sharing the load with friends a.k.a. the other "broads."
    And now comments from reader/friends like you make the bee stings along the way worth it .
    Thank you, thank you, thank you .

    ReplyDelete
  9. Eleanor Roosevelt said "Do one thing everyday that scares you." I might be done for the day:) Here's to getting to 25 comments!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the quote and thanks as always for making me smile. good to get the scary stuff done early and ease throught the rest of the day.

      Delete
  10. Way to go Carol. Love your nephew's lust for life (but tell him that bees are our friends so he leaves their hives alone.) Like you, I have been fascinated by the people I know who read the blog and then just reply to me by email.

    When people reply to the comments all blog readers benefit from the insight. I know I love to read the comments to our posts. So c'mon readers, let's hear what you have to say.


    I'm number 8....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay, I'm up to the challenge. However, while I love the story about Ryan and his love of new things, I was hoping you were blogging about beekeeping, right up there with vineyards as a new agricultural endeavor in Cape May County...Anyway, great blog, great message.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice weaved story, Carol, and, quite the encourager! I see you have action! Laura

    ReplyDelete
  13. AnonymousMay 19, 2012

    Fun stories about resourceful Ryan! Hope you make your goal of 25.
    Libby

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks to all who commented today - we are halfway there.
    I think I can, I think I can :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. AnonymousMay 19, 2012

    I hope you reach your goal, Carol. I always enjoy seeing your posts. :-) Ethan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Ethan,great to know you are out there looking in

      Delete
  16. Always love your storytelling, Carol. Now to begin channeling Ryan and you as I tackle my expanding list of goals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ryan's advice might be to tackle them in one running leap--mine is one small step at a time :)

      Delete
  17. AnonymousMay 20, 2012

    Every journey begins with one giant leap - that kid maybe on to something.
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  18. AnonymousMay 20, 2012

    I have been a huge fan from the beginning! I love the blog and I look forward to the stories created by such amazing women. Thanks for sharing such creativity with us!! Janine Begasse

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks Janine. being called an amazing woman by an amazing woman is . . .priceless

    ReplyDelete
  20. After laughing hysterically at the story, it made me think. What happened to the fearlessness of our youth? Watching kids dare to do something different without fear, constraints or what others will think, or at times if it's even the wisest thing to do, is something most adults have lost. If your fortunate enough to find your way back and regain that courage, throw a rock at it and see what happens! That type of mentality is what drives me to step out of my 'reading' comfort zone, and pull on the mantel of a 'writer'. As a young kid, I never would have thought storytelling would be for me. It turns out that it is. Hopefully the 'bees' I get stung with will be the result of success...either way, it's worth the effort...and the exercise! LOL

    BTW, I think I'm comment number 25! Is there a prize for that? Haa haa ha!

    ReplyDelete
  21. MJ, does my giddy graditude count as a prize?
    Your comments remind me that being fearless does not mean we are without fear. It means we muster the courage to try things even when we are afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm late with my comment, but very pleased to see so many new commenters! I applaud you all. I think it's good to do something that scares us every once in awhile. Helps keep us awake in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am with Julie. commenters, please keep coming back

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh, if only we could all catch a bit of Ryan's spirit. He'll recover from the bee stings and never forget the experience. :-)
    By the way, my poem came in 3rd place in the contest at the conference. It's here if you'd like to see it:
    oneglassofwater.wordpress.com/2012/05/13/me-of-course/

    Keep on beeing! 8-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. congratulations on your poem. I will definitely check it out.
      Turns out my very short essay ( a rewrite of the Goldilocks blog on this site) came in 3rd in the essay contest.
      Enjoyed meeting you.

      Delete