Search This Blog

Friday, August 17, 2012

Plotting My Escape from Autopilot

Chris Brady

Our vacation getaway.  (Glad I don't mow this lawn.)
I struggled to come up with a topic for the blog this week.  I guess you could call it writer’s block.  But then I wondered if it’s more like a living block. Looking back at the last four weeks of my life, I wasn’t jazzed to write about anything I had experienced.

I haven’t had any wonderful life moments like Mary seems to encounter.


And I am not living with a year-old son like Julie, where every minute brings discovery.

For some time now, I’ve noticed that my life is more like a lake than a river. If there was a way to track footprints in my house there would be this little trail that happens every day.  Same with work and too often, weekends.

Vacations help, but they are way too short. Bernie and I got away for a week in a beautiful place recently, and just being somewhere else was energizing.  But the buzz was gone as I entered our driveway on arriving home. It was like I got back on a conveyor belt and my life went into autopilot.

Of course, I can schedule more “vacation moments” in my life: fun with family and friends, experiencing culture, and getting off my butt to exercise.  I just find myself nesting more than ever:  reading, walking the dog, puttering in the garden, and just being in the moment.  

Not exciting, nothing to write about, comforting in its own way, but not as fascinating as my Facebook friends’ lives appear to be. Then I think about people I care about who are seriously ill, struggling through unemployment, caring for a dying parent, or stuck in a bad relationship. 

“Count your blessings,” my inner voice tells me.  (That inner voice is always right.)

Knowing there is a problem is the first step toward recovery.  I promise to have an adventure (or two) between now and the next blog post.

What about you?  Is your life on autopilot?

What are you doing to make life more memorable?











9 comments:

  1. Heartfelt post...enjoyed reading it and as to the count your blessings...of course we all do, but I have a post scheduled regarding that topic. I think it is two Sundays away, but you might like it. In the meantime, enjoy this respite...I think we have them for a reason...and write on! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jacquie:

      You make a good point that this might be the calm before the storm. Make sure you come back and give us a link to your blog post when it's cooked.

      Delete
    2. I'd like to echo that sentiment. "A time for every purpose under heaven..." Store up that unused energy for the moment when the doors swing open and it's time to "go" again. There are times I look back on my "autopilot" phases and wonder why I didn't read more books, take more walks, sit a few more hours on the beach....

      Delete
  2. I hear you loud and clear, Chris. I'm on autopilot for sure during the week. I try and squeeze in an adventure on the weekends, even if it's only a movie. It's easier for singles like me though. I have no responsibilities which has its pluses and minuses. No one can claim the perfect life, eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think you nailed it on the dependents. Bernie and Max don't have the same wanderlust (or energy, patience, initiative) that I do. But you're right, they are plusses in my life too.

      Delete
  3. Autopilot? Sometimes I am lucky just to get out of 1st gear!

    Julie V

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as you are going forward, I guess that will have to do.

      Delete
  4. Hi Chris, if you haven't read The Artist Way by Julia Cameron (or haven't read it recently) check it out. The "artist dates" she recommends may give you just the mini-adventures you need.
    And, remember I am off for a few weeks in case one of your artist dates could be a weekday visit to Cape May

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol: I do have Cameron's books, though I never followed her advice. Think I will check back on it. I am hoping for a September or October Cape May trip. Will definitely call you for a board walk chat.

      Delete